George D. Bouckovalas
Geotechnics, Soil Dynamics
& Earthquake Engineering.
here to download CV in pdf format.
Date and place of birth: 1955,
||Diploma in Civil Engineering, National Technical University (N.T.U.A.),
||M.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Mass. Inst. of Technology (M.I.T.),
Cambridge, MA, U.S.A.
||Sc.D. in Civil Engineering, Mass. Inst. of Technology (M.I.T.),
Cambridge, MA, U.S.A.
||Tutoring for graduate and undergraduate courses in Geotechnical
Engineering at M.I.T.
||Teaching at the Southeastern preparative College, Athens.
||(a) Undergraduate teaching at N.T.U.A. (Soil Mechanics, Soil Dynamics,
Special Topics in Geotechnical Engineering, Computational Methods
(b) Graduate teaching at N.T.U.A. (Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
for the graduate programmes "Structural Design and Analysis of
Structures" and "Design and Construction of Underground
(c) Supervision of more than seventy (70) undergraduate and graduate
(d) Supervision of eleven (11) Ph.D. Dissertations at N.T.U.A., eight (8)
completed and three (3) in progress. Member of the supervision committee
of many more Ph.D dissertations
||M.Sc. and Sc.D. dissertations at M.I.T. (Research Assistant during
the period 1978-1981)
||Research Fellow at the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (N.G.I.)
||Soils' Research Center of the Hellenic Ministry of Public Works
||Geotechnical Division, Department of Civil Engineering, N.T.U.A.
Project Coordinator or Principal Investigator, in 36 research projects
[Citations: Google Scholar: 1845, h-index 22 / Scopus (79 papers):955,
||Part-time geotechnical consulting during graduate studies at M.I.T.
||Supervision of road and airports construction during Military Service
||Part-time consulting on storm-and earthquake-induced loading of
offshore platforms, on behalf of N.G.I.
||Evaluation of geotechnical investigations on behalf of the Hellenic
Ministry of Public Works (K.E.D.E.)
||Consulting on Geotechnics and Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
for Greek and Foreign Engineering Firms
- Geotechnical Explorations : 23
- Geophysical Measurement of Dynamic Soil Properties: 8
[for the Natural Gas Pipeline, the New Museum of Acropolis, the Athens
Metro, the Athens Olympic Village, etc.]
- Seismic Design of Dams and Embankments: 8
[2 dams for the Greek Public Power Company (checker), the New Patras'
Port breakwater, the offshore part of the New Runway of Heraclion
airport, the railway embankment at Sperchios river, New Port of Patras-3rd
section, Chontal dam at Equador etc.]
- Seismic Design of Offshore Oil Platforms and Bridges: 8
[3 offshore platforms in the North Sea, participation in the preliminary
study of the Rion-Antirrion bridge, foundation of the new Strimonas
Bridge of Egnatia Odos-evaluation of liquefaction effects (checker),
pile foundation of Egnatia Odos bridge in Kleidi (checker), 5 bridges
along Gouria - Astakos hwy, etc.]
- Seismic Design of Foundations and Retaining Structures: 8
[residential compound at Xilocastro- evaluation of liquefaction effects,
preliminary and final study of Zakinthos' Marina, pile foundation
design of Egnatia Odos bridge in Kleidi, foundation of the Flexi-cocker
tower of EL.PE., pile foundation of Sulphur Forming Package Shiploader
of EL.PE., retrofit of Electric Power Plant in Syros Island, etc.
- Seismic Design of Natural Gas and Oil Pipeline: 45
[main Natural Gas Pipeline of Greece, its branches as well as the majority of medium pressure networks,
Thes-niki to Skopje oil pipeline Megara-Corinth gas pipeline, Stamata-Aliveri gas pipeline,
Greek-Italy gas pipeline, Greece-Bulgaria gas pipeline, Corinth-Megalopolis gas pipeline, Greek sector of TAP, etc.]
- Seismic Microzonation Studies of Urban Areas: 12
[Kalamata, Pirgos, Heraclion and Rethimno of Crete (a & b phases),
Thiva, Ano Liosia, Aigion, Corinthos Prefecture, W. Attica, Elefsis
Refinery of EL.PET., etc]
- Technical Chamber of Greece
- Hellenic Society of Civil Engineering
- American Society of Civil Engineers (A.S.C.E.)
- International Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering.
- International Society of Rock Mechanics (I.S.R.M.)
- Coordinator of the ETC-12 /ISSMFE international Committee for the
evaluation of the geotechnical aspects of the European Seismic Code
- Director of the Construction Management Division, NTUA (2003-2004).
- Director of the Geotechnical Division, NTUA. (2000-2001 & 2008-2010).
- Director of the Foundation Engineering Laboratory, NTUA. (2006-2008
- Lecturer in twenty two (22) International and eight (8) National
- Invited lecturer in thirteen (13) International and three (3) National
- Invited Lecturer in eight (8) research centers and Universities
outside Greece (Japan, Norway, Austria, Portugal, U.S.A. Romania,
- Reviewer in six (6) International and one (1) National Scientific
- Reviewer in International and National Scientific Conferences.
- Reviewer of research proposals for the General Secretariat for Research
& Technology (GSRT) of Greece.
- Reviewer of research proposals for the National Science Foundation
(NSF) of U.S.A..
- Member of four (4) International and five (5) National Scientific
- Member of the scientific committee for the Recognition of Foreign
Academic Titles (DI.K.A.T.S.A.), for Civil Engineers (1994-1997).