Molecular Physics Lectures 2007 :
Atomic and Molecular Physics Laboratory (Exercises 2004)
Responsible for the Atomic
and Molecular Physics Laboratory at NTUA
, associated with the
Atomic and Molecular Physics is Manolis Fokitis (
-Description of the laboratory: A set of classical
experiments in atomic and molecular physics are conducted by the 6th
semester studets. Typical titles include:
1) Sodium fine structure , conducted with a 2400 groves/mm grating spectrometer ( practical considerations of Sodium and other electrical discharges)
2) Spectrum of Planck distribution in the visible and near IR range , recorded with a thermopile
lab 3.1 Study Moseley's law using radioactive sources
lab 3.2 Study Moseley's law using X-ray tube and appropriate absorbers
4) Physics of Ar ion lasers using a 1200 groves/mm grating f=25cm spectrometer
5) Electron spin resonance
6) Spectra of atoms with two electrons in the outer shells ( examples of Mercury and Helium spectra are treated experimentally).
7) Molecular spectra ( For bibliography see):
7.1 Spectra of air at low pressure : The ionized nitrogen first positive and second negative bands are measured at around 1 nm resolution in UV range using a photomultiplier tube.
7.2 Spectra of diatomic Oxygen: The spectra from an oxygen discharge tube are seen with a low resolution spectroscope.
8) Computational Physics: Emphasis is given in the Rutherford scattering.
9) A more complicated lab
experiment is planned : Zeeman's effect using a Fabry-Perot spectrometer.
By next Febrary it will be decided if this labe will be included in the Spring